How do I pre-use inspect my arc flash faceshield?
The NFPA 70E Standard requires that all arc flash PPE is pre-use inspected. Refer to Oberon’s resource section of the website for literature resources including User Guides and Storage, Use, Care & Maintenance files. While inspecting your arc flash faceshield if you identify a problem do not use the product until the issue has been repaired, cleaned or replaced. When pre-use inspecting your Oberon arc flash suit you should inspect each item one at a time.
The following steps apply when pre-use inspecting your Oberon arc flash faceshield;
- Check the faceshield visibility, inspect for excessive scratching. If visibility is impaired or the shield is cracked or damaged remove from use (replace with appropriate lens).
- Manually adjust the shield mounting mechanism (adapters) to ensure wing nuts are firmly in place, do not over tighten or the shield won’t be able to operate correctly.
- Inspect adapters for cracks or damage, ensure fingers are locked into hard hat slots.
- Check hard hat slots and inspect for cracks that could allow the adapter to slip out.
- Ensure the nuts and bolts fastening a lower chin guard (double crown) are tight before use.